I’ve been teaching Cambridge English for the previous three years as a part-time English tutor. I believe that I have always focused more on the academic aspect of the class, which makes it uninteresting and lacks kids’ attention. As a result, after learning about board games and playing them with groupmates, I’d want to use this opportunity to introduce a new game to the students that will help them study more effectively while having fun. As I’ve discovered when we perform speaking activities, particularly the question-and-answer phase. It’s tedious to merely ask and answer questions. I feel that the game will keep kids engaged to learn more effectively. Therefore, I invented this game which I will be describing in the following:
Target audience :
The game is being designed for young English learners. It can also be played by those who have started to learn English.As this game will improve their communication and vocabulary skills along with gaining knowledge. It will be highly useful for parents, teachers and all the English teaching institues.
The board game’s design is based on the letter “W.” I wanted to make the design distinctive by incorporating an English flair. The letter “W” indicates that the game is about English. It is also made simple for the kids to understand.
Instead of putting the subjects on the board, I prepared individual flashcards for each one. During my teaching experience, I have seen that students prefer flashcards.
How the game works and its rules :
The game includes flashcards as well as a board game. There will be a total of five flashcards, each with a different question. Each card will include a unique topic question. The questions will be closely connected to topics covered in Cambridge English that are relevant to daily life. There will be cards for multiple topics such as colors, animals, cuisine, transportation, and furniture, among others.Each theme card will be labeled with a number, such as “color” (number 1), “animals” (number 2), and so on. As a result, one side will roll the dice and see what number they got, and they will have that cards and answer questions connected to it which will be posed by the game’s storyline. If the group fails to answer the question right, they will have to go backwards on the board, and if they respond correctly, they will go forward.Moving ahead and backward will be printed on the card in such a way that if they answer right, how many boxes will they move forward; if they do not answer correctly, the card will inform them how many boxes they must move backward. The team that finishes the board first wins.
- The game will be started by players doing rock, paper and scissor. In order to see which group starts first.
- the first team will draw a dice, whatever number they get, they will have to answer the question card of that number
- For instance, if they get number 1, they will have to answer questions on the section 1 card
Section 1: Colours
- What Colour is this?
- What is the colour of a ripe lemon ?
- What colour is the red rose ?
- What is the colour of a buffalo ?
- What is the colour of unripe banana ?
- Card number 2 : Animals
- How many legs does a monkey has
Section 2 : Animals
- How many legs does a monkey has ?
- What is baby sheep called?
- Who eats bamboo?
- Which is the fastest animals?
- Which animals has the tallest tail ?
Section 3 : Food
- List out five fast food names?
- Name a blue fruit !
- What colour are the bananas ?
- How many colours of grapes do we have?
- How many types of oranges do we have?
Section 4 : Transportation
- What colours of minibuses do we have in Hong Kong ?
- What is the name of the transport that is run by school and drop you to the school?
- Name a transport that flies in the air!
- Name a transport that goes under water!
- Name five transportations !
Section 5 : Furtinture
- Name three types of chairs !
- What do we call the small size of sofa ?
- What is the table called that you study on ?
- What is the material used for your bed?
- What type of furniture should there be in a bedroom ?
The above are sample questions of the cards . The teacher can use her own topic and recreates the cards.
During one of my classes, I conducted a trial run with my classmates. At first, I assumed the game would be a shambles and rather complex for the young players. Because I wasn’t sure if the game was ready to play or not. However, it went great when I tried it with my pupils. The game and the instruction were both appreciated by all of the kids. Surprisingly, they were able to speak better in class and answer questions more effectively since they not only loved the game but also learned a lot. The class setting was entirely transformed as a result of the game; it was a happy one. In terms of my own experience, I was astonished and pleased of myself since I was able to create an entertaining game that helps my student study better.The most important thing for me as a tutor is that my lessons be engaging so that my students like them and learn in new ways. I’ll attempt to make more modifications and draw more cards so that students may learn something new in each lesson.